In exercise of the power conferred by section 63 of the Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974(6 of 1974), the Central Government after consultation with the Central Board for the Prevention and Control of Water Pollution hereby makes the following rules, namely :--
1. SHORT TITLE AND COMMENCEMENT
(1) These rules may be called the Central Board for the Prevention and Control of Pollution (Procedure for Transaction of Business) Rules, 1975.
(2) They shall come into force on the date of their publication in the official Gazette.
In these rules, unless the context otherwise requires --
(a) "Act" means the Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974 (6 of 1974);
(b) "Government" means the Central Government;
(c) "Chairman" means the Chairman of the Central Board;
(d) "Member" means a member of the Central Board and includes the Chairman thereof;
(e) "Member Secretary" means the Member Secretary of Central Board;
(f) "Meeting" means a meeting of the Central Board;
(g) "Section" means a section of the Act;
3. NOTICE OF MEETINGS
(1) Meetings of the Central Board shall ordinarily be held at Delhi on such dates as may be fixed by the Chairman.
(2) The Chairman shall, upon the written request of not less than five Members of the Central Board or upon a direction of the Central government, call a special meeting of the Central Board.
(3) Fifteen clear days' notice of an ordinary meeting and three clear days' notice of a special meeting specifying the time and the place at which such meeting is to be held and the business to be transacted thereat, shall be given by the Member-secretary to the members.
(4) Notice of a meeting may be given to the Members by delivering the same by messenger or sending it by registered post to his last known place of residence or business or in such other manner as the Chairman, may, in the circumstances of the case, thinks fit.
(5) No member shall be entitled to bring forward for the consideration of the meeting any matter of which he has not given ten clear days' notice to the Member-secretary, unless the chairman, in his direction, permits him to do so.
1[(6) (a) The Central Board may adjourn its meetings from day to day or to any particular date.
(b) Where a meeting of the Central Board is adjourned from day to day, notice of such adjourned meeting shall be given to the Members available in the city, town or other place where the meeting which is adjourned if held, either by telephone or by special messenger and it shall not be necessary to give notice of the adjourned meeting to other Members.
(c) Where a meeting of the Central Board is adjourned not from day to day but from the day on which the meeting is held to another date, notice of such meeting shall be given to all the Members as provided in sub-rules (3) and (4)]
3[(7)] * * *
4. PRESIDING OFFICER
Every meeting shall be presided over by the Chairman and, in his absence, by a Chairman for the meeting to be elected by the members present from amongst themselves.
5. ALL QUESTIONS TO BE DECIDED BY MAJORITY
(1) All questions at a meeting shall be decided by a majority of votes of members present, and voting shall be by raising of hands in favour of the proposal.
(2) In case of an equality of votes, the presiding officer shall have a second or casting vote.
(1) Five members shall form the quorum for any meeting.
(2) If at any time fixed for any meeting or during the course of any meeting a quorum is not present, the presiding officer shall adjourn the meeting and if a quorum is not present on the expiration of fifteen minutes from such adjournment the presiding officer shall adjourn the meeting to such hours on the following or on some other future date as he may fix.
(3) No quorum shall be necessary for the adjourned meeting.
(4) No matter which had not been on the agenda of the original meeting shall be discussed at such adjourned meeting.
4(5) (a) Where a meeting the Central Board is adjourned under sub- rule (2) for want of quorum to the following day, notice of such adjourned meeting shall be given to the Members available in the city, town or other place where the meeting which is adjourned is held, either by telephone or by special messenger and it shall not be necessary to give notice of the adjourned meeting to other Members.
(b) Where a meeting of the Central Board is adjourned under sub-rule (2) for want of quorum not to the following day but to another date, notice of such adjourned meeting shall be given to all the Members as provided in sub-rule (3) and (4).
(1) Record shall be kept of the names of members who attend the meeting and of the proceedings at the meeting in a book to be maintained for that purpose by the Member-secretary.
(2) The minutes of the previous meeting shall be read at the beginning of the every succeeding meeting, shall be confirmed and signed by the presiding officer at such meeting.
(3) The proceedings shall be open to inspection by any member at the office of Central Board during office hours.
8. MAINTAINING ORDER AT MEETING
The presiding officer shall preserve order at a meeting.
9. BUSINESS TO BE TRANSACTED AT MEETING
Except with the permission of the presiding officer, no business which is not entered in the agenda or of which notice has not been given by a member under sub-rule (5) of rule 3, shall be transacted at any meeting.
10. ORDER OF BUSINESS
(1) At any meeting business shall be transacted in the order in which it is entered in the agenda.
(2) Either at the beginning of the meeting or after the conclusion of the debate on a motion during the meeting the presiding officer or a member may suggest a change in the order of business as entered in the agenda and if the meeting agrees, such a change shall take place.
11. PROCEDURE FOR TRANSACTION OF BUSINESS OF COMMITTEES CONSTITUTED BY THE BOARD
(1) The time and place of the meetings of the committees constituted by the Central Board under sub-section 9 shall be as specified by the Chairman.
(2) The quorum for a meeting of a committee constituted under sub-section (1) of section 9 shall be one-half of the total number of members of the committee.
(3) Subject to sub-rule (1) and sub-rule (2) the meetings of any of the committees constituted under sub-section (1) of the section 9 shall, as far as may be governed by the rules applicable to the meetings of the Central Board.
[NO. Q. 505/16/74/EFQ]
S.CHAUDHURI, Jt. Secy.