MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT AND FORESTS
New Delhi, the 19th December, 1996
(As amended up to 19.06.2001)
S.O. 884 (E).--In exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (3) of Section 3 of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986 (29 of 1986) hereinafter referred to as the said Act, the Central Government hereby constitutes an authority known as the Dahanu Taluka Environment Protection Authority, in the District of Thane, State of Maharashtra, consisting of the following members for a period of five years on and from the date of publication of this notification in the Official Gazette, namely: -
(1) Justice Chandrashekhar Shanker Dharmadhikari - Chairperson
(Retired Judge of High Court, Mumbai)
(2) Dr. G. C. Mishra, Professor, Water Resources Development - Member
Training Centre, University of Roorkee (U.P.) (Expert in the
Field of Hydrology).
(3) Director/Deputy Director, National Institute of Oceanography, - Member
Dona Paula, Goa (Expert in the field of Oceanography and
(4) Head of the Botany Department, Mumbai University, Mumbai - Member
(Expert in the field of Terrestrial Ecology)
(5) Head of the Department/Shri Shyam Asolekar, Associate - Member
Professor , Department of Environmental Engineering, I.I.T.,
Mumbai (Expert in the field of Environmental Engineering)
(6) Pro. K. B. Jain, Centre for Environmental Planning & - Member
Technology, Ahmedabad. (Expert in the field of
Developmental and Environmental Planning)
(7) Executive Director/Director, National Institute of Design, - Member
Ahmedabad (Expert in the field of Information Technology)
(8) Collector, Thane - Member
(9) The Member Secretary, Maharashtra State Pollution Control - Member
(10) A representative of Non-Governmental Organisation - Member
(To be appointed by the Central Government)
(11) Shri V. W. Deshpande, Deputy Secretary, Urban Development - Member
Department, Government of Maharashtra, Mumbai.
2. The Authority shall exercise the following powers and perform the following functions, namely:-
(i) exercise of powers under section 5 of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986 for issuing directions and for taking measures with respect to matters referred to in clauses (v), (vi), (vii) (viii), (ix), (x) and (xii) of sub-section (2) of section 3 of the said Act;
(ii) to protect the ecologically fragile areas of Dahanu Taluka and to control pollution in the said area;
(iii) to consider and implement the "Pre-cautionary Principle" and the "Polluter Pays Principle";
(iv) to consider and implement the recommendations given by the National Environmental Engineering Research Institute, Nagpur, in respect of Dahanu Taluka;
(v) to ensure the implementation of the notifications issued by the Government of India in the Ministry of Environment and Forests No. S.O. 114(E) dated the 19th February, 1991 and No. S.O. 416 (E) dated the 20th June, 1991;
(vi) to comply with the relevant orders issued by the Bombay High Court and the Supreme Court from time to time;
(vii) to deal with any other relevant environment issues pertaining to Dahanu Taluka, including those which may be referred to it by the Central Government in the Ministry of Environment and Forests.
3. The Authority shall furnish a progress report about its activities atleast once in two months to the Central Government in the Ministry of Environment and forests.
4. The Authority shall have its Headquarters at Mumbai, Maharashtra.
5. The terms and conditions of appointment of the Chairperson and Members shall be as determined by the Central Government from time to time.
Foot Note:--The principal notification was published vide No. S.O No. 884(E) dated the 19th December, 1996 in Part-II, Section 3, Sub-section (ii) of the Gazette of India, Extraordinary and subsequently amended vide
(i) SO No. 758 (E) dated 5.11.1997
(ii) SO No. 352 (E) dated 27.4.1998
(iii) SO No. 1085 (E) dated 17.12.1998
(iv) SO No. 115 (E) dated 17.2.1999
(v) SO No. 349 (E) dated 18.5.1999
(vi) SO No. 1082 (E) dated 9.11.1999
(vii) SO No. 757 (E) dated 9.12.1999
(viii) SO No. 457 (E) dated 16.5.2000
(ix) SO No.1129 (E) dated 18.12.2000