S.O. 825E.-- The following notification which the Central Government proposes to issue in exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (1) read with clause (v) of sub-section (2) of section 3 of the Environment (Protection) Act 1986 (29 of 1986) is hereby published as required under sub-rule (3) of rule 5 of the environment (Protection) rules, 1986 for information of all persons likely to be affected thereby; and notice is hereby given that the said draft notification will be taken into consideration after the expiry of a period of sixty days from the date on which copies of the Gazette of India containing this notification are made available to the public.
Any person desirous of making any objection or suggestion in respect of the said draft notification may forward the same in writing for consideration of the Central Government within the period so specified to the Secretary to the Government of India, Ministry of Environment and Forests, Payavaran, Bhavan, C GO Complex Lodhi, Road, New Delhi, 110003.
1. It is proposed to notify Pachmarhi Region as an Eco Sensitive Zone, located between latitude 22°11' North to 22°32' North and longitude 77°54' East to 78° 45' East; falling in Hoshangabad, Chhindwara and Betul districts of Madhya Pradesh. The proposed zone would include Pachmarhi Town, situated in Sohagpur Tehsil of Hoshangabad district; and located at latitude 22°28' North and longitude of 78°26' East on the plateau of Satpura range at an altitude of approximately 1067 meters above mean sea level.
The Eco Sensitive Zone shall have a core area consisting of Pachmarhi Town and its immediate environs, sanctuaries and national parks in the zone. All activities in the sanctuaries and national parks shall be governed by the provisions of the Wildlife (Protection) Act 1972.
2. The following activities are proposed to be undertaken/regulated in the Eco Sensitive Zone:
(a) Zonal Development Plan
(i) A development plan for the entire zone should be prepared by the State Government and approved by the Ministry of environment and Forest in Government of India. The plan should clearly earmark industrial estates.
(ii) The area defined as Pachmarhi Special Area under the Town and Country Planning Act 1973 should have a Special Area Developn1ent Plan which will have to be prepared by the State Government as a Component of the Zonal Development Plan and concurrence of the Ministry of Environment and Forests will be obtained on this before publication of the notification of the Special Area Development Plan as per section 19 of Madhya Pradesh Town and Country Planning Act 1973.
(iii) Similarly, all other habitations in the Eco Sensitive Zone having populations of more than 5000 should have Area Development Plans which form components of the Zonal Development Plan.
(b) Industrial Units: Location of industries shall be only in the industrial estates and has to be as per guidelines drawn up by the Government of Madhya Pradesh as well: as the guidelines issued from time to time by the Ministry of Environment and Forests.
In drawing up guidelines, the Government of Madhya Pradesh shall specify the types/threshold limits of industries that are completely prohibited, those that can be permitted after all appraisal, the requirements and procedures of which are specified, and those that stall be freely permitted provided certain criteria are met which should be specified; Provide that nothing in these guidelines shal1 conflict with the provisions of the Environment Impact Assessment Notification of January 27; 1994 of the Central Government as amended on May 4, 1994, April 10, 1997 and as may be subsequently amended.
(c) Quarrying and mining: Quarrying and mining activities are totally banned in the core area mentioned under para 1 of the Notification.
As far as possible no fresh mining lease shall be granted in the Eco-Sensitive Zone. The Monitoring Committee shall be the authority to gave special permission for mining lease or quarrying of renewal of existing lease in Eco-Sensitive Zone (Outside the core area), after taking into consideration the Zonal Development Plan.
(d): Trees : There shall be felling of trees whether on Forest, Government, Cantonment; Revenue, or private lands within the Eco-Sensitive Zone, without the prior permission of the State Government in case of forest land, and the respective District Collector in case of Government, Cantonment, Revenue and private land, as r procedure which the State Government may prescribe.
(e) Tourism: Tourism activities should be as per a Tourism Development Plan to be prepared by the Department of Tourism of the State Government in consultation with the Ministry of Tourism and approved by the Ministry of Environment and Forests. The Tourism Development Plan will also form a component of the Zonal Development Plan.
(f) Natural Heritage: The sites of unique natural heritage in the zone will be identified, particularly rock formations, waterfalls, pools, garges, groves, cave etc. and plant for their conservations in their natural setting will be incorporated in the Zonal Development Plan. Strict guidelines will be drawn up by the State Government to discourage constructions activities at or near these sites under garb of providing tourists facilities. All the gene pool reserve areas in the zone would be preserved. The State Govt. would draw up proper plans for their conservations/preservation. These plans would form a part of the Zonal Development Plan.
(g) Man-made Heritage: Building of distinct historical or architectural importance will be identified and plans for their conservation, particularly their exteriors will be incorporated in the Zonal Development Plan. Guidelines will be drawn up by the State Government to regulate building and other activities in the Zone, particularly in Pachmarhi Town, so that the special character and district ambience of the Town is maintained. is
3. The Government of Madhya Pradesh shall constitute a High-Level Monitoring Committee to ensure compliance of the conditions mentioned in the Notification, The Monitoring Committee shall have a representative of the Central Pollution Control Board and a representative of the Ministry of Environment and Forests.
4. In exercise of the powers under Section 3(3) of the Environment (Protection Act, 1986, and subject to the limitations of Section 23 of the said Act, the Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India empowers the Housing and Environment Department, Government of Madhya Pradesh, to exercise all the powers and functions under the Act with regard to the Pachmarhi Eco-Sensitive Zone consequent to the approval of the Zonal Development Plan and its components by the Ministry.
5. Provided that no powers shall be deemed to be delegated as are required to be exercised by the Government of India as per the provisions of the Environment Impact Assessment Notification of January 27, 1994 as amended on May 4, 1994, April 10, 1997 and as may be subsequently amended.
R.H. KHWAJA, Jt. Secy.