S. O.991 (E).-In exercise of the powers conferred by sub-sections (I) and (3) of section 3 of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986 (29 of 1986) (hereinafter referred to as said Act) and in supersession- of the Order of the Government of India in the Ministry of Environment and Forests number J-17011/18/96-lA-III dated 13th August, 1998, except as respects things done or omitted to be done before such supersession, the Central Government hereby constitutes an authority to be known as the National Coastal Zone Management Authority (hereinafter referred to as the Authority) consisting of the following persons, for a period of two years, with effect from the date of publication of this Order in the Official Gazette, namely:
1. Additional Secretary, Chairman. (Impact Assessment), Ministry of Environment and Forests, New Delhi,
2. Chief Town Planner, Member. Ministry of Urban Affairs and Employment, New Delhi.
3. Director General (Tourism), Member. Ministry of Tourism, New Delhi,
4. Fisheries Development, Member. Commissioner, Ministry of Agriculture.
5. Joint Secretary (Ports), Member Ministry of Surface Transport, New Delhi.
6. Director, Member National Institute of Oceanography, Panjim, Goa.
7. Director, Member Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Cochin.
8. Father Thomas Kocherry, Member Coordinator, World Forum of Fish Harvesters and Fish Workers (WFF), Valiathura, Thiruvananthapuram.
9. Shri Bal Mane, Member President, Ratnagiri District Fishemen's Association, Ratnagiri, Maharashtra.
10. Shri Shiga Kashinath Naik, Member Sarpanch Shioroda Kerwadi, Tehsil Vengurla, District Sindhudurg, Maharashtra.
11. Shri Rajaram Gadhekar, Member Mukteshwar Sansthan, Apoogaon, Malad (West), Mumbai.
12. Deputy Secretary, Member Secretary Impact Assessment, Ministry of Environment and Forests, New Delhi. Member, Secretary
II. The Authority shall have the power to take the following measures for protecting and improving the quality of the coastal environment and preventing, abating and controlling environmental pollution in coastal areas, namely:-
(ii) Examination of the proposals for changes and modifications in classification of Coastal Regulation Zone areas and in me Coastal Zone Management Plans received from the State Coastal Zone Management Authorities and the Union Territory Coastal Zone Management Authorities, and making specific recommendations to the Central Government therefore.
(b) Review of cases under (iii) (a) either suo-moto, or on the basis of complaint made by an indivitual or a representative body, or an organization functioning in the field of environment.
(v) To take action under section 10 of the said Act to verify the facts concerning the issues arising from sub-paragraphs (i), (iii) and (iii) of paragraph II of the Order.
IV. The authority shall examine and accord its approval to area specific management plans, intergrated Coastal Zone Management Authorities and Union Territory Coastal Zone Management Authorities.
V. The Authority may advise the Central Government on policy, planning, research and development, setting uo of Centres of Excellence and funding, in matters relating to Coastal Regulation Zone Management
VI. The Authority shall deal with all environmental issues relating to Coastal Regulation Zone which may be referred to it by the Central Government.
VII. The Authority shall furnish report of its activities and the activities of the State Coastal Zone Management Authorities and Union Territory Coastal Zone Management Authorities at least once in six months to the Central Government.
VIII. The foregoing powers and functions of the Authority shall be subject to the supervision and control of the Central Government.
IX. The Authority shall have its headquarters at New Delhi.
X. Any matter specifically not falling within the scope and jurisdiction of the Authority as so constituted shall be dealt with by the statutory authorities concerned.
[F. No. 1 7011/18/96-lA-III]
K. ROY PAUL, Additional. Secy.