FOREST SURVEY OF INDIA, DEHRADUN
Forest Survey of India (FSI) was created in June, 1981 with the
objective of monitoring periodically (10 years cycle) the
changing situation of land and forest resources and present the
data for national planning; conservation and management of
environmental preservation and implementation of social forestry
After a critical review of its activities, FSI was re-organised
w.e.f. 1.7.1986. The revised objectives of FSI are as follows:-
- To prepare a comprehensive State of Forest Report (SFR)
including National Forest Vegetation Map (NVM) once in every
two years. It will also prepare thematic maps through use of
remote sensing data with minimum essential ground truth
verification on a 10 years cycle.
- To collect, store and retrieve necessary forestry and
forestry related data for national and state level planning
and to create a computer based National basic Forest
Inventory System (NBFIS)
- To design methodologies relating to forest surveys and
subsequent updating. This would include methodology for--
- Vegetation mapping including thematic maps through use
of satellite imagery/aerial photographs.
- Ground with verification.
- Growing stock and volume assessment.
- To undertake work in regard to preparation of forest
inventory in selected States/UTs on agency basis until
establishment of their own resources survey units.
- To impart training in modern forest survey techniques to
forests at various levels of responsibility in the
- To advise the States/UTs on design and development of
- To support and oversee technique/inventory work undertaken
by State/UT Forest Departments.
The FSI is headed by Director. The Headquarter of the
organisation is located at Dehradun. It has four zonal
offices,each headed by a Joint Director at Shimla, Calcutta,
Nagpur & Bangalore. Major functions of each zonal office are
- Organising field work to collect inventory data and preparing
- Interpretation of aerial photographs and
- Wood consumption study.
The jurisdiction of each zone is as follows :
- North Zone, Shimla
- Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh,
Uttar Pradesh,Haryana, Punjab,
Rajasthan, Delhi and Cahndigarh.
- Eastern Zone, Calcutta
- Bihar, West Bengal, Mizoram, Sikkim,
Meghalaya, Tripura, Manipur, Arunchal
Pradesh, Nagaland & Assam.
- Central Zone, Nagpur
- Madhya Pradesh,Maharashtra,Goa,Gujarat,
Orissa, Daman & Diu, Dadra & Nagar
Haveli and Pondicherry.
- Southern Zone, Bangalore
- Andhra pradesh, Karnataka, Keral &
Besides the above there are 3 units, each headed by a Joint
Director at Headquarter office at Dehradun. The units are :
- National Forest Data Management Centre
- engaged in Digital Image Analysis and cartography and developing
Geographical Information System & Forestry Database
- Vegetation Mapping Unit
- engaged in preparing vegetation maps by visual analysis of satellite
imagery and supervising cartography og thematic maps based on
aerial photographs and
- Training Unit
- for training FSI staff and Forest officers in Application of
Remote Sensing Techniques and Inventory Technology.
There are 3 more technical units at the Headquarter each of which
is headed by a Deputy Director. These are :
- Machine Data Management Unit
- for electronic processing of inventory data and data banking,
- Agency Work Unit
- for compilation and writing of State of Forest Report and
coordinating inventory works among various zone,
- Methodology Unit
- for developing and improving methodology.
In addition a unit at Headquarter headed by a Dy. Director looks
after administration of the organisation,cross checks the
inventory reports submitted by the zonal offices and attend to
the technical querries received.
- Thematic mapping
- Vegetation Mapping
- Electronic Data Processing
- Designing of Methodology, Consultancy and Special Studies
- Digital Image Processing and National Forest Data Management
For further information, please contact:
Dr. Devendra Pandey
Forest Survey of India (FSI)
Ministry of Environment & Forests
Kaulagarh Road, P.O., IPE
DEHRADUN - 248 195
Phone # 91-135-756139, 755037, 754507
Fax # 91-135-759104
MoEF Home Page