Current Size: 90%
Environmental Information (EI) Division of the Ministry is responsible for the following areas of work:
- Formulation, implementation and monitoring of the Environmental Information System (ENVIS) Scheme with a view to making it a single-stop, web-enabled, comprehensive information system, including the following:
- Formulation and issuance of guidelines for administration of the Scheme.
- Periodic convening of the Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) to review the functioning of the Scheme.
- Review and approval of Annual Plan of Activities of each of 68 ENVIS Centres country-wide set up for providing scientific, technical and semi-technical information on various environmental issues.
- Monitoring and oversight of the functioning of ENVIS Centres.
- Coordination of all activities of the ENVIS Centres through the ENVIS Focal Point located in EI Division.
- Auditing and upgrading of ENVIS Centres’ Websites maintained on National Informatics Centre (NIC) Portal.
- Development and maintenance of an ENVIS Portal connecting all ENVIS Centres.
- Development and maintenance of the Ministry’s Website which has also been linked with various Divisions.
- Supporting and promoting research, development and innovation in environmental information technology.
- Supporting capacity building in development of repositories and dissemination of environmental information, including through holding of National/ Regional Workshops.
- Coordination of independent overall evaluation of the Scheme as well as conducting annual performance review of each ENVIS Centre, including through National Evaluation Committees of Experts on both subject-specific matters and Status of Environment and Related Issues.
- Development and maintenance of India State-Level Basic Environmental Information Database (ISBEID) to help 28 ENVIS Centres at State Governments/ UTs to collect, compile and disseminate State/ UT-wide information on a centralised server.
- All matters related to Green National Accounting in India.
- Disposal of Parliament matters regarding the ENVIS scheme.
- Disposal of Right to Information Act, 2005 matters regarding the ENVIS Scheme.
- Coordinating all matters regarding the conferring of the ‘Indira Gandhi ParyavaranPuraskar’ (IGPP), including development of ‘Regulations governing IGPP’.
- Coordinating and representation of the Ministry on UNEP’s Global Environment Outlook (Geo-5)’s High-Level Inter-Governmental Advisory Panel and Summary for Policy-Makers’ (SPM) Drafting Group under its global inter-Governmental and multi-stakeholder consultations.
- Coordinating the development, publishing and dissemination of the Annual Reports of the Ministry.
- Coordinating the development, publishing and dissemination of the annual National ‘Report to the People on Environment and Forests’ since 2009-10.
- Coordinating the development, publishing and dissemination of periodic State-of-Environment (SoE) Reports of Nation/ States/ UTs/ Cities/ Towns/ various environmental ‘Hot-Spots’.
- Coordination and liaison with various national information systems.
- All financial matters relating to the Schemes and Programmes handled by the Division.