Current Size: 90%
Environmental Education, Awareness and Training (EEAT)
The ‘Environmental Education, Awareness and Training (EEAT)’ is a flagship scheme of the Ministry for enhancing the understanding of people at all levels about the relationship between human beings and the environment and to develop capabilities/skills to improve and protect the environment. This scheme was launched in 1983-84 with the basic objective to promote environmental awareness among all sections of the society and to mobilize people’s participation for preservation and conservation of environment.
EEAT Scheme has the following objectives:
- To promote environmental awareness among all sections of the society;
- To spread environment education, especially in the non-formal system among different sections of the society;
- To facilitate development of education/training materials and aids in the formal education sector;
- To promote environment education through existing educational/scientific/research institutions;
- To ensure training and manpower development for environment education, awareness and training;
- To encourage non-governmental organizations, mass media and other concerned organizations for promoting awareness about environmental issues among the people at all levels;
- To use different media including films, audio, visual and print,, theatre, drama, advertisements, hoarding, posters, seminars, workshops, competitions, meetings etc. for spreading messages concerning environment and awareness; and
- To mobilize people's participation for preservation and conservation of environment.
The objectives of this scheme are being realized through implementation of the following programmes launched over the years:
- National Environment Awareness Campaign (NEAC)
- National Green Corps (NGC)
- Other Awareness Programmes